Canal Flats

Canal Flats

Located in the Columbia Valley at the southern end of Columbia Lake, the Village of Canal Flats is half way between Cranbrook to its south and Invermere to its north. Newly incorporated June 29, 2004, the primary industry of this village has been timber. The remains of the canal completed in 1889 (connecting Columbia Lake to the Kootenay River) can be seen near Canal Flats Provincial Park (hence the name “Canal Flat” given to the Post Office in 1913). Mistaken highway signage is one speculation on how Canal Flat became Canal Flats.

Community
Tue, 06/20/2017 - 09:09
0 comments