Once known as one of British Columbia’s smallest municipalities in both population and area, Silverton’s current population of 195, (though the total population of the Slocan Valley (including New Denver, Silverton and Slocan and Regional District of Central Kootenay) totals 5,275), is located on Highway 6, south of New Denver on the eastern shore of Slocan Lake. It’s history dates back to the accidental discovery of a rich outcrop of Galena in 1890. In the height of the silver boom Silverton (incorporated on May 6, 1930) experienced the rapid development of 6 hotels, 3 general stores, a school (1919) and telephone communications. Today, Silverton is known for its crafts stores, galleries, recreational activities and accommodations and its Historical Society’s Interpretive Centre, other historical attractions and its location on the Silvery Slocan Super Side Trip of the International Selkirk Loop.
View Employment Lands Analysis Report:
View Community Profile:
View Business Retention and Expansion Report:
Browse Silverton Research Reports: